Mothers warns, "It could happen to you."
Updated: Jun 8, 2019
"This is Carson. He was 3.
It was a Sunday afternoon in July and we were at a family members house, where we had taken our boys swimming many times before. There were 4 adult and 2 children. No one was drinking.
We had been swimming all morning and came inside for lunch. After we fed the boys they went upstairs to watch TV. I checked on Carson and he was laying on the ottoman. He looked like he was falling asleep. Since they were settled, the adults sat down to eat. In no more than 5 minutes we were done.
We went to check on Carson, but he wasn't there. We quickly searched the house. We found him in the pool. We started CPR and called 911. He was life flighted to the hospital were he fought for 3 more days until we had to take our youngest son off life support.
The door was dead bolted and Carson had gotten out through the doggie door. We don't have a doggie door so the thought of him going through that to get to the pool never crossed our minds.
It can happen to anyone. We were the people who thought it would never happen to us because we were cautious and aware of our children. It was only 5 minutes. It happened to us.
Please be aware as the days get warmer. It doesn't matter how many times you have been to that pool or who you think may be that extra ear or eye. It can happen to you."